Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Suck it up buttercup!

Thank goodness for baggy sweaters and leggings for those days when wearing your pjs to work just isn’t acceptable.  Rumor has it moms don’t get ‘sick days’ and since I just so happen to be a mom, who just so happens to have three very energetic (and exceedingly flamboyant) children, I have to pull on my big girl panties and buck up.  It’s bound to happen to us eventually… body aches, upset stomach, fever chills, painful cough, the left nostril doing all the work while the right is completely checked out for the day;  all I want to do is crawl back under my comforter and knock myself out for the day with a shot of NyQuil while Luke Bryan rubs my back……. Wake up Gina, there are lunches to make, notes to sign, and oh yeah…. There’s that job thing I’m supposed to do. 

 

So enough whining.  I promised to share some of my meal ideas with ya’ll each day so here’s what I’ve got.  Last night I tried a new kind of rice with my veggies.  It wasn’t ‘instant’ rice, but it was certainly worth the extra time.   I mixed some stir fry veggies (sautéed in EVOO) into it and sprinkled with red pepper.  I’m all about the spice.

 

Most of the time I make a separate dinner for my kids.  I want low-calorie, super high fiber meals for myself and that’s not always practical for their nutritional needs.  They require a different diet than I do, and the three of them have massive appetites at the end of a busy day.   It may sound like a lot of work, but really it isn’t.  Most things can be prepped on Sunday afternoons.   And I love, love, love my crockpot!  I put in a lean roast in with some potatoes before I left for work that morning (a whole whopping 5 minutes prep time!), served it up with some green beans and a little bit of gravy.  Success. 

 

I’m still going to hit the gym today despite the fact that I feel like a slug.  My expectations aren’t high, but I do think walking the treadmill at an incline for 30 minutes is better than sitting here feeling sorry for myself.   All you single mommas out there.. a great big kudos to you.  Being a parent is the toughest job in the world, but doing it completely alone on days when you feel absolutely miserable,  establishes a new level of strength.  I’m off to load up on orange juice and H2O.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment